(updated Friday 2nd July 2021)
I do not want to encourage anyone to do anything that goes against UK Government or any other country guidelines. As we have seen this past year, there has been no joined up thinking as every single country has taken differing approaches to controlling the virus, and this makes it impossible currently to know the following;
What events may or may not happen?
Whether we would be allowed to travel there and have to self isolate on arrival?
What would be open and what we would be allowed to do once in country?
Would we have have to self isolate on return?
Certainly your family and employment need to be taken into account before committing to any trips that I think are feasible and realistically going to happen. I would almost certainly expect that you’ll need to be vaccinated too…..
You will know that I was planning on doing Oshkosh/Chicago in July, Moscow/ARMY Kubinka in August and Australia/Avalon in November/December. I sadly have to tell you that I can no longer believe that any of these are a possibility for any of us in the UK.
This is largely thanks to the UK experience of the Delta variant of COVID – other countries are reluctant to open up travel to us as they look to slow down this variant hitting them too hard, before their own mass vaccination plan has been achieved.
It’s quite clear that all the above events will now probably happen for just the benefit of nationals and we will sadly watch from afar. As we see how the rest of year pans out, there might be the chance to do some last minute trips such as the following. This of course depends on international travel being allowed to these places;
Kleine-Brogel spotters day/Sanicole air show in September based around the celebration theme of 60 years of Nato Tigers.
Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta/Las Vegas NBAA in October
November US storage field bash in conjunction with Planes of Fame air show at China and Davis-Monthan AFB open day. Also probably a couple of extra days to be tagged on to get to Seattle & Moses Lake. A lot of what has gone in storage won’t be coming back out the many storage yards and there will still be many MAX/777-9/KC-46 sitting around Seattle I think.
I will also be keen on restarting the always popular Toulouse/Hamburg trips but given how Europe is at the moment, nervously awaiting the UK experience of the Delta variant, this is more likely to be towards the end of the year.
If any of you are interested in any of these, then please register your interest and I will keep you informed about any plans around these. I think it is quite clear now that being double jabbed may be a requirement for international travel so please consider that before getting in touch.
Finishing with some good news, I did manage to make contact with the Australian Air Force Defense Attaché and although they advised against thinking about travel to Australia this year, left the door open to get back in touch with them for when I do get to Australia which will be Avalon 2023 I guess
Proposed tours being investigated currently and more details to follow. Please feel free to ask about any of these if interested and we will update you as to current progress
See above notes……